As a linebacker, I can tell that the biggest difference maker in level of play is not size or strength, but ferocity. The ability to intimidate your opponent is one of the most important jobs of a linebacker. While being big helps to be intimidating, these lifts will set your game to the next level.
You obviously still need to do bench press and squat but i’m going to assume you already knew that.
1. Dumbbell Flyes- Building a monster chest is the most intimidating thing that any human can do. But a chest will help with much more than just that. Strong pectoral muscles will help you to plug holes at the line of scrimmage and get off of blocks. It will also help you to force more fumbles because you are able to generate more pushing power.
2. Hang snatch/clean- This exercise might be the best thing to build explosion. This will help you to improve your coordination, grip-strength, and hard-hitting ability. Be sure that you come of the ground to work the most explosion possible.
3. Medicine Ball Workouts- I am going to be very broad with this one, but that is only because every medicine ball exercise works exactly what a vicious linebacker needs. It will train your ferocity by throwing it around, but also train explosion.
4. Rowing Machine- The rowing machine is a total body cardio exercise that will also train explosion. The cardio is very important to stay in shape and to maintain speed, and also to train your endurance for late game clutch moments.
5. Farm and Swing- This exercise will help to teach your body to sink your hips when you tackle. You should use a heavy kettle ball to simulate lifting a ball carrier off the ground, but be sure you can get in at least 8 reps.
If you implement these exercises into your workout then you are going to strike fear into the hearts of ball carriers everywhere.